If you or a family member are requiring aged care, there are several options available.
- Help in your own home – if you are generally able to manage, but require assistance with daily tasks, there are various home-care packages available. You can search for providers online or phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to discuss options.
- After-hospital (transition) care – if you’ve been in hospital, but need assistance while you recover and additional time to think about the best place to live long-term, this type of service can be provided in your own home or ‘live-in’ setting for 12 to 18 weeks.
- Respite care – this service provides support for you and your primary carer when your carer has other duties to attend to, or when they’re on holiday.
- Residential aged care – this is where you live in full service residences and receive ongoing care and support. If it’s the best option for you, it’s a good idea to research and visit several residences to find the right place in terms of location, services and activities.
- Short-term restorative care – this provides a range of services over eight weeks to help prevent or slow down difficulties with completing everyday tasks.
The costs for after-hospital, respite and short-term restorative care depend on the level of care and how long it’s required.
The fees for an at-home-care package or residential aged care can also vary and will depend on income and assets, as assessed by the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
With a residential aged care facility, there may be one-off payments (or deposits), as well as ongoing fees for care, accommodation and daily living expenses.
If you wish to discuss the financial aspects of aged care, you can contact Alison Kable and Associates at 254 Anstruther Street, Echuca or by ringing on 54 822239.
Alison Kable is a Certified Financial Planner and Authorised Representative of AMP Financial Planning Pty Ltd, AFS Licence no. 232706. This article contains general information only. It does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please consider the appropriateness of the information in light of your personal circumstances.